Lisa Bayliss-Pratt: "...now is the time for change."
Shape of caring review
The Shape of Caring Review, (Raising the Bar) published in March 2015, aims to ensure that throughout their careers nurses and care assistants receive consistent high quality education and training which supports high quality care over the next 15 years.
The Shape of Caring review sets out 34 recommendations under eight themes:
- Enhancing the voice of the patient and the public
- Valuing the care assistant role
- Widening access for care assistants who wish to enter nursing
- Developing a flexible model
- Assuring a high-quality learning environment for pre-registration nurses
- Assuring high quality, ongoing learning for registered nurses
- Assuring sustainable research and innovation
- Assuring high-quality funding and commissioning
The review was led by an independent Chair, Lord Willis of Knaresborough and overseen by a Sponsoring Board, co-chaired by Professor Lisa Bayliss-Pratt, Director of Nursing, HEE, and Jackie Smith, CEO, Nursing & Midwifery Council (NMC). The Chair was assisted by, and received expert advice from, the HEE Nursing & Midwifery Advisory Group and HEE Patient’s Advisory Forum.
HEE has since responded to the Shape of Caring review. The report can now be downloaded.
A bulletin has been produced called Care Matters to keep key stakeholders updated on progress and includes links to blogs from from our nursing policy team. Download the first issue from this page.
An update to the work HEE is taking forward is available to download from this page.
Guidance on revalidation
Two documents on revalidation can be downloaded from the foot of this page - Revalidation for Nurses and Midwives working in HEE - Guidance for Managers, including a template.