Would you like to help young people in your community to make an informed decision about their career choices? Do you have around 1 hour per year to volunteer as a Health Ambassador for your organisation to share your occupational expertise?
Health Education England want to raise young people’s awareness and understanding of Health careers. As part of a Widening Participation programme, the Health Ambassadors scheme encourages people working and/or studying in healthcare to volunteer one hour per year to speak in schools about their roles, or participate in careers events and activities.
Further information is also available under the following pages:
The aims of the scheme are to:
- Attract and ensure the future healthcare workforce by getting young people interested in your job, profession or sector which can help develop the talent pool and ensure a skilled workforce in the future.
- Ensure the future healthcare workforce is representative of the communities it seeks to serve
- Help young people make informed choices about the range of job roles within the NHS. Going into state schools and colleges can help dispel myths about jobs and professions, and importantly, ensure that young people have a realistic view of the world of work and the routes into it
Once you are signed up:
- Once signed up local schools / colleges may invite you to take part in a careers fair, in career networking (speed dating about jobs) or do a lunchtime talk to local school children about your role.
- Schools / colleges in the local area send secure messages directly to volunteers to see if they can attend.
To sign up with Inspiring the Future please click here
Volunteering with Inspiring the Future is free, easy, effective and fun. Volunteers and education providers are connected securely online, and volunteering can take place near home or work as employees specify the geographic locations that suit them. Criminal Records Bureau checks (now DBS) are NOT needed for career insights talks, as a teacher is always present.
Being a Health Ambassador is also a great personal and professional development tool, allowing employees to gain confidence by speaking to young people about their job, and helping young people to understanding the application and recruitment process.
For more information please contact Oliver Hallam: firstname.lastname@example.org