Care certificate toolkit
Half of NHS organisations in the North West were involved in testing the Care Certificate. Information gained through reviewing and testing the documentation for its applicability and ease of use has been very helpful in understanding the value of the Care Certificate and issues we need to understand to support its implementation.
This toolkit has been designed to act as a guide as you start to implement the Care Certificate in your area. The materials are optional to use and are only suggestions to help you prepare. All information and documentation will need checking and customising for your own specific needs.
Implementing the Care Certificate
- National Care Certificate Guidance
- Board paper template
- Electronic Staff Record (ESR) Minimum Data Set: Initial guidance from NW England. This is work in progress but the following information may be used as a guide to what information needs to be collected by employers to evidence completion of the Care Certificate
- ESR Changes to National Competencies: This user notice identifies the details of the Care Certificate Competency and the reporting functionality now available in the ESR to aid recording of the Care Certificate
- Reporting on the Care Certificate using ESR: This guidance document shows how the Care Certificate can be reported in ESR
- Quality Assurance: This paper introduces Quality Assurance – the benefits of following toolkit guidance
- Mapping Tool: Subject Matter Experts who currently deliver training for this staff group on induction, maps whether the current Induction training will cover the requirements of the Care Certificate and links to National mapping guidance: Mapping guidance and tool
- Timeline flow chart: another way to be able to plan with other multidisciplinary teams
- Primary Care Focus Group Briefing
- Communication plan template (developed by Health Education North West London): This will help you to structure the publicity and information needed ahead of the launch in April.
- Local Ward/Dept staff Noticeboard poster: Specific poster for advertising the named leads for the Care Certificate in areas or within the Learning and Development teams.
- Generic Poster developed by HE Thames Valley
- HENWL Care Certificate Leaflet: to help inform senior briefing and the context of the Care Certificate.
- HENWL Information poster
- Care Certificate Pocket guide (developed by Health Education North West London)
- HENW poster and leaflet
- Workbook: A generic workbook with Assessment criteria and action plan to be customised for your area.
- Assessment guidelines: An example of what to consider, when and how assessment should take place.
- North West Core Skills Resources
- Recommendation of QCF levels: Guidance on understanding educational levels
- Care Certificate Standards: A Care Certificate Workbook is presented in fifteen downloadable resources, as well as an introduction and glossary. Each Standard includes knowledge content and concludes with a section where learners can record their understanding.
- PowerPoint Presentations: Skills for Care has developed some generic PowerPoint presentations for each of the Care Certificate Standards (except Safeguarding) which organisations might find helpful.