quote HEE facebook linkedin twitter bracketDetail search file-download keyboard-arrow-down keyboard-arrow-right close event-note

Can you apply for a clinical academic award?

What does a clinical academic do? And how can you become one?

Could this be you?  If so, read on...

  • Engages concurrently in clinical practice and research
  • Provides leadership, innovation, and provision of excellent evidence based healthcare
  • Challenges existing practice working within, and contributing to, a research rich care environment
  • Leads and contribute to research that informs and improves the effectiveness, quality and safety of health care
  • Builds capability and capacity to do research

HEE/NIHR Integrated Clinical Academic Programme for non-medical healthcare professions

Health Education England (HEE) and the National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) have established an overarching integrated clinical academic training programme for non-medical healthcare professionals. This programme is intended to increase research capacity in the NHS in order to improve health and healthcare, by developing people with the potential and aspiration to become leading clinical academics and independent researchers in the future.

Videos highlighting the national training opportunities can be found on the following link:


Within Wessex, we currently offer four types of awards;

  1. HEE/NIHR Clinical Academic Training Programme Internships (up to £10k)
  2. HEE Wessex Transitional Internships (up to £10k
  3. HEE Wessex Post-doctoral Awards (up to £25K)
  4. New HEE Wessex Multidisciplinary Team-based Research Awards (currently in the pilot stage)

Follow our work and updates using #HEEWessexCAC


If you found this content useful you can share it on your favourite social network:

Or just grab the url to share wherever you like: