quote HEE facebook linkedin twitter bracketDetail search file-download keyboard-arrow-down keyboard-arrow-right close event-note


We receive a number of queries regarding the 'Return to Practice' process, this list represents the most commonly asked.

Do I need to retrain if I have been out of practice?

The amount of retraining you will need to undertake in order to return will depend upon whether you have maintained your registration. If you have been out of practice but have not allowed your registration to lapse, then you may be able to return without the need to complete a Return to Practice course. You will still need some support though to return but this can be provided locally in NHS organisations, in the form of an induction period. For further information please contact the HR department of your local organisation who will be able to advise you.


Will the course be funded?

Within Yorkshire and the Humber, most of those looking to return will be able to have their course fees paid, and also DBS (formerly CRB) and Occupational Health fees funded. For further information regarding this, you should approach the University where you are planning to apply for the programme.


Will additional financial support be available?

There is no other financial support available currently although this may change. However as the programme is part time, you may find that you can complete it while still in other employment.


Will I be guaranteed a job once I have completed the programme?

There is no guarantee of a post on completion of the programme. However, many organsiations are actively recruiting currently so finding a post may not be an issue. For information regarding posts which may be available in your local area, you should access the NHS Jobs website 


I have retired and received an NHS pension but am interested in returning to practice part time. Is this possible?

All of the Return to Practice programmes in the region are part time programmes.

For more detailed information regarding returning to the NHS following retirement, you may find it useful to read this factsheet  or to contact NHS Pensions. Many organisations are willing to offer flexible employment including part time hours to potential employees. This should be discussed with your potential employers.


Will I be able to work flexibly if I return?

Many organsiations are willing to offer flexible working for healthcare workers including part time hours. This should be discussed with your potential employers.


Is there anything I can do to prepare for the Return to Practice programme?

There are lots of things you can do to prepare yourself for the Return to Practice programme. These will help you during the application process as well as during the course and throughout your future career, including:

  • Refresh your numeracy skills
  • Explore recent key healthcare documents and policies
  • Attend open days and careers events at local Universities / organisations
  • Talk to other healthcare professionals about recent changes in the NHS


How long will the course be?

This will vary between universities and may be affected by the length of time you have been since you were on the register. It is usually 4-6 months in total and will include both study time (in the university and self-directed) and time in practice supported by a mentor / supervisor.


How can I find out about the programmes which are running in Yorkshire and the Humber?

You can find out about which universities are running Return to Practice programmes by clicking on the links below for:


I haven’t practiced for quite a long time. Does this matter?

Some of the universities have a time limit for those out of practice, but there may be some flexibility so it is always worth contacting them to discuss your individual circumstances.


I completed my training outside the UK. Can I apply for the Return to Practice Programme?

If you moved to the UK and were on a professional register in the UK but your registration has now lapsed, you can apply for the Return to Practice Programme. However if you have not ever been registered with a professional body within the UK, and your registration has lapsed in another country, you will not be able to complete the Return to Practice programme here. To discuss your individual circumstances you should contact the NMC  or HCPC for advice.


What support will I get during the programme?

At the university you will be offered support with your academic work from the module tutor and will also be allocated a personal tutor for any other support you may require during the programme. In your practice placement area you will be allocated an experienced practitioner to support you as your mentor / supervisor during the programme.


What support will I get when I complete the programme and take up employment?

All organisations will have slightly different processes but all will offer induction for new staff members, along with a period of support, often in the form of preceptorship and / or clinical supervision. For further information regarding this you should discuss with your potential employers.

If you found this content useful you can share it on your favourite social network:

Or just grab the url to share wherever you like: