Return to nursing
If you are a registered nurse who has a lapsed registration you may need to undertake a period of updating your skills and knowledge before you can become re-registered with the NMC and work in the capacity of a Registered Nurse. The term used to describe this period of updating is Return to Practice (RtP).
For further information regarding whether you will need to complete a RtP course in order to be re-admitted to the register, please visit the NMC Website.
Health Education Yorkshire and the Humber offers a number of flexible training opportunities to enable nurses who have lapsed registration to return to practice and provides the following support:
- Course fees funded (for commissioned RtP courses within Yorkshire and the Humber)
- Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) fees (Formerly CRB)
- Occupational Health clearance fees
- Small bursary payment towards travel expenses etc for those undertaking the programme
- Placement training fee for organisations supporting RtP nursing students
Hear about coming back from nurses who have returned
To hear what nurses who have returned say about the programme, click here
Where can you apply for the programme?
Within the Yorkshire and the Humber region, the RtP programme is commissioned and funded at four Universities. For further information regarding each of the courses please click on the appropriate link below:
- University of Bradford
- Sheffield Hallam University
- University of Sheffield
What placements are available?
Many healthcare service provider organisations are looking to support nurses wanting to return to practice. To find out more about which service providers are supporting Return to Practice Students in your area click here
Concerned about your numeracy skills?
If you are considering accessing a Return to Practice Course and are concerned about your numeracy skills, you can access the SNAP numeracy testing tool to develop and improve your existing skills. The tool can be accessed at www.snap.nhs.uk
In order to use the tool, you will need to register as detailed below:
- Click on 'Register' and then 'Healthcare Professional'
- Select 'National Return to Practice campaign' from Organisation drop down menu
- Select 'Nursing - Return to Practice' from Directorate drop down menu
- Select ’RTP Applicants' from Department options
You will then be asked to complete a short registration form to create your username and password. After completing the form you will receive a message confirming that your registration is awaiting approval and will receive a further message within a few days to inform you that your registration is complete.
Want to know more or have more queries?
If you have any further queries regarding Return to practice within Yorkshire and the Humber please contact email@example.com