In their most classical applications, simulated patients (SPs) provide a unique method of learning by creating a safe environment in which practitioners and students are able to practise clinical and communication skills.
There are many benefits associated with the use of Simulated Patients within a training programme, these are:
- Case specificity – Healthcare professionals are faced with case specific interactions on a daily basis. The use of SPs allows healthcare professionals and students to broaden their experience and gain valuable feedback, empowering them to deal with case specific interactions more confidently
- Convenience – SPs can be provided wherever and whenever they are needed
- Direct comparisons of competence – SPs create a safe environment in which it is possible to benchmark and compare clinical competence
- Safe Practice – SPs allow individuals to train in a safe yet realistic environment. Learners are given the opportunity to develop vital skills to become confident and competent professionals when faced with the same, or similar situations for real
- Evaluations – trained SPs give valuable, consistent feedback that highlights specific points for improvement
How can we use Simulated Patients?
Simulated Patients can be used to satisfy a variety of interpersonal training requirements and can work in a variety of situations.
We can work anywhere in the healthcare community and beyond, including:
- Individual surgeries
- Training Centres
- Further Education and Higher Education Institutions
- Teaching hospitals
- On behalf of PCTs and Trusts in any suitable environment
- Any other related application such as the emergency services and law-related disciplines.
Concentrating on an array of training needs such as:
- Dealing with challenging behaviour
- Breaking bad news
- Handling complaints – preventing complaints becoming official
- Interview training – running staff appraisals; disciplinary hearings; job interviews; mentoring staff etc
- Diversity training including language barriers
- Training packages for GP receptionists/NHS support workers – including telephone consultations
In addition to a cohort of hundreds of trained and experienced simulated patients, we can also provide:
- Professional facilitation
- Bespoke scenarios written to any specification
- Research in new areas
- Integrated options, helping you reach your audience in the best ways. This could include online learning solutions, DVDs, live training events or one-to-one coaching.
To find out more about booking some simulated patients or finding out if they are appropriate for the course / training you are planning, please contact us
To find out more about becoming a simulated patient, please click here
This Page was last updated on: 26 April 2016