The toolkit provides general information about the ACP role as well as specific information aimed at the following groups of people: practitioners, educators, employers, commissioners, those planning the workforce across systems and patients/service users.
- A definition and an understanding of the four capabilities that underpin ACP
- Information for practitioners on how the four capabilities that underpin ACP can be assessed
- Advice for employers about how to build ACPs into the workforce (this includes information on governance and supporting the role at all levels in the workplace, recruitment, appraisals, apprenticeships and staff retention)
- Information for commissioners and system leaders, including advice on planning the workforce
- Useful advice about the ACP role for patients and service users, to help them understand the role
It will be helpful to have read the ‘Multi-professional framework for advanced clinical practice in England’.