Medical and Dental Careers Strategy
Careers development within the UK medical and dental workforce
The careers subgroup has looked at advising on best practice and priorities for careers development within the UK medical and dental workforce.
The report, ‘MDRS Careers Strategy’, accessible below, outlines a number of recommendations to be taken forward by stakeholders across the system, but particularly careers advisors, based on key principles:
- a four nation approach to best practice
- careers advice that empowers individuals to make their own decisions
- promotes social inclusion
- doctors should be supported to be the best they can be
- doctors must be prepared to adapt flexibly to changing future career pathways
- careers advice should be timely, and realistic in context
- careers advice must be tailored to both the individuals situation and the health economy.
The group will continue to work on the strategy, to:
- ensure it reflects information available on the health careers website
- working with colleagues, update the strategy to reflect the experiences of the dental workforce
- working with colleagues, consider how it will impact on other professions, and what recommendations should be made for our multi-professional workforce.