Academy of public health for London and the south east
The Academy of public health for London and the south east commissions learning and development opportunities and provides a platform for sharing ideas, tools, and resources.
The Academy is an innovative initiative with a central mission to support a transformation in the capacity and capability of the public health system and a wider workforce that will enable all in our communities to lead healthier lives. We will deliver:
- a joined up system approach on priorities transcending organisational boundaries,
- a clear professional development offer,
- improved workforce planning and development, and
- a more cost effective commissioning of workforce programmes.
Our priorities are being informed by the needs of local government, as well as the delivery of the radical upgrade in prevention and public health set out in the NHS Five Year Forward View. Our focus will be on:
- Making public health everybody’s business
- Developing strategic leadership for public health
- Equipping the workforce with public health skills fit for the 21st century
- Supporting recruitment, retention and progression in public health
The priorities are now being taken forward through the eight sustainability and transformation plans (STPs) for London and the South East.
The public health specialty training programme for London and the South East that is training many of the next generation of senior public health professionals will be embedded within the Academy. We will be steered by a collaborative partnership group that will have local government, NHS, Public Health England and HEE membership.
Anyone, organisation or individual, with a key role supporting people and communities living and working in London and the South East to stay healthy can be part of the Academy. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.