Education and training required
The HEE multi-professional training framework provides three routes into Advanced Practice. Details can be found here: https://www.hee.nhs.uk/sites/default/files/documents/ACP%20Primary%20Care%20Nurse%20Fwk%202020.pdf
Many advanced practice courses are available through HEIs across the country. The HEE Centre for Advancing Practice is undertaking an accreditation programme currently.
- Indictive salary AfC band 8a.
There is no job description as this is not a role, but a level of practice.
For brief outline of responsibilities, skills and competencies please see below.
Advanced Practitioners build on the knowledge, skills and experience provided by their profession and integrate the four pillars of advanced practice into their work: leadership and management, education, research and clinical work.
Skills and competencies
- Works within practice, across primary care networks (PCNs), clinical commissioning groups (CCGs) and integrated care systems (ICSs), multi organisational, cross professional and across care pathways.
- Flexible skill set to adapt to and meet needs of the PCN population and support public health.
- High level of complex decision making to inform diagnosis, investigation, complete management of episodes of care within a broad scope of practice.
- Manages undifferentiated undiagnosed conditions.
- Able to identify red flags and underlying serious pathology and take appropriate action.
- Manages medical complexity.
- Actively takes a person-centred approach to enable a shared management plan with the presenting person.
- Leads audit and research projects.
- Leading Quality and Outcomes Framework (QOF) within areas of capability.
- Multi-professional advanced clinical practice and CPD supervision across all four pillars of advanced practice with relevant training.
- Leads education in their area of expertise.
- Enables, facilitates, and supports change across care pathways and traditional boundaries.
Role overview, including FAQs and toolkit can be found on the HEE website