Education and training required
- Link workers will require NVQ Level 3, advanced level or equivalent or working. towards accredited NHSE/I e-learning health platform training modules 1-6 available.
- Ongoing development to support role.
- Regular access to clinical supervision.
Indictive Salary AfC band 5.
NHSE/I have developed a job description and recruitment pack which is available on the Future NHS website. Access to the site requires user registration. Once registered, navigate to the role selection page to find a range of supporting resources.
For brief outline of responsibilities, skills and competencies please see below.
- Providing personalised support to individuals, their families, and carers to take control of their wellbeing, live independently and improve their health outcomes.
- Developing trusting relationships by giving people time and focusing on ‘what matters to them’.
- Taking a holistic approach, based on the person’s priorities and the wider determinants of health.
- Co-producing and supporting delivery of a simple personalised care and support plan to improve health and wellbeing.
- Introducing or reconnecting people to community groups and services.
- Evaluating the individual impact of a person’s wellness progress.
- Recording referrals within GP clinical systems using the national SNOMED social prescribing codes.
- Drawing on and increasing the strengths and capacities of local communities, enabling local voluntary, community and social enterprise sector (VCSE) organisations and community groups to receive social prescribing referrals.
Skills and Competencies
- Listening and communication skills.
- Emotional resilience.
- Work in a person-cantered, non-judgmental way across whole, diverse communities.
- Collaborative working.
- Work from an asset-based approach.
- Motivational coaching and interview skills.
- Data collection and monitoring skills to assess impact.
Further competencies will emerge as the role is developed and embedded in primary care.
Support available for introducing the role
From April 2020, this role will be reimbursed through the Additional Roles Reimbursement scheme at 100% of actual salary plus defined on-costs, up to the maximum reimbursable amount of £35,389 over 12 months.
National Society for Social Prescribinghttps://socialprescribingacademy.org.uk/
NHS England / Improvement reference guide
NHS England / Improvement summary guide
NHS England / Improvement social prescribing FAQs
National Association of Link Workers professional membership organisation
e-Learning for Healthcare social prescribing link worker training programme
NHS England / Improvement social prescribing link worker welcome pack: https://www.england.nhs.uk/publication/social-prescribing-link-worker-welcome-pack/
Royal Society for Public Health social prescribing framework for allied health professionals: https://www.rsph.org.uk/our-work/resources/ahp-social-prescribing-frameworks.htm