Return to Practice - information for employers
Return to Practice offers employers an alternative way to fill nurse, midwife and health visitor vacancies.
If you are a healthcare provider in the South West and you are looking to fill a nurse, midwife or health visitor vacancy, why not consider a returnee?
All healthcare organisations; big, small private, voluntary and independent, including GPs, hospices, trusts and private hospitals are eligible.
- A returnee could help you with those ‘hard to fill’ vacancies.
- It may take only six months from selecting a returnee to possibly filling a vacancy.
- You can recruit your own returnee.
- In the south west we will fund you to support: administration, advertising, DBS and occupational health costs.
- In the south west we will fund the cost of the university programme.
- In the south west we will provide financial support to the returnee.
- If you offer your returnee a permanent registered position in the south west then we will also provide extra funding for preceptorship.
- You will receive help and guidance from our RtP universities.
How to get started
- Consider what you can offer the returnee. Some of our employers are offering guaranteed permanent registered positions on successful completion of the programme, whilst other are offering part time, non-registered work during the programme.
- Check that you have access to a ‘sign-off’ mentor. The University may be able to help you with this.
- Contact Sue Sewell at HEE. She will collect RtP demand from all employers and allocate places to them.
- Once you have been allocated a place you can then contact the appropriate University, see below, to arrange further details including, a joint interview process and access to ‘sign-off’ mentors.
- View a list of participating organisations that are supporting RtP in the related documents section below. If you would like your organisation added to this list please supply your organisation’s lead name and contact details for Return to Practice to: ReturntoPractice.SW@hee.nhs.uk.
- Plymouth University’s contact for RtP queries is: Jane Campbell Baigrie, J.Campbell-Baigrie@plymouth.ac.uk, 01752 586951
- For those employers based outside of the Cornwall and Devon areas, the university offering the RTP programme will be: University of the West of England The UWE contact for RtP queries is: Helen Parker, HAS.CPD@uwe.ac.uk, 0117 328 1158
- The universities have lists of people who have previously expressed an interest in the Return to Practice programmes. Please contact as described above as they can advise these people of vacancies suitable for RtP candidates.
- We have developed a list of frequently asked questions from employers which we hope you will find useful
Programme start dates – dates for 2017/2018 will be added once they are set.
Financial support for employers
- HEE in the south west will contribute £550 per returnee for placement support (for administration, advertising and the like), this will be distributed to the employers at the start of the programme
- We will pay the returnee funding to employers in the south west to distribute to the returnee. We will pay 50% at the start of the programme and 50% at the midpoint of the programme. The midpoint of the programme will be agreed by the organisation and Universities on an individual basis. The amounts per returnee are:
- RtP Nurse – £1,000.00 bursary;
- RtP Midwife – £500.00 bursary;
- RtP Health Visitor – £500.00 bursary.
Education Demand/Allocation Process Timetable
- A demand and allocation process for 2015 to 2016 has been developed and can be downloaded here;
This Page was last updated on: 21 June 2016