The innovative Mixed Realities for Health and Social Care Education (M-Care) teaching resources comprise mixed reality digital media; 2D games, digital fly-throughs, virtual reality (VR), augmented reality (AR) and supporting documentation designed to inspire and cultivate children and young people’s interest and engagement with further education and careers in health and social care. The M-Care resources introduce children and young people to health and social care environments, skills, roles and professions as well as human body systems. The resources are linked to the national curriculum and will develop knowledge in Science and Personal, Social, Health and Economic (PSHE) education. There is also a facilitators guide that explains how to use the resources, provides sample lesson plans and direction for maximising the effectiveness of the resources.
M-Care Mobile and VR App
The M-Care App can be downloaded free of charge via the Apple App Store or for Android devices via the Google Play Store. The App houses all of the digital resources:
- Twelve 2D games (Skeleton labels, Blood vessel, Body system, Food items, Uniform match, Healthy meal, A healthy day, Skeleton hand, Skeleton Bones, Staying healthy, Correct medication, Connect bones)
- Three body-system fly-through videos (Musculoskeletal, Cardiovascular, Digestive system)
- Three VR work experiences (VRWEs) (Broken wrist, Circulatory problem, Healthy eating).
- Four AR models (skeleton, lungs, heart, digestive organs)
To access the M-Care App via an iPad or tablet click on the relevant link below:
M-Care Desktop App
There are also Windows and Mac versions of the M-Care App containing the Twelve 2D games, three body-system fly-through videos and three VR work experiences. AR models are not available via the desktop version of the App. You can use the desktop version of the App on PCs and laptops, as an alternative to the tablet or iPad App. The Windows and Mac desktop versions of the App are .exe files (file size: 590MB).
M-Care Fly-Through Videos
There are three body system fly-through videos (musculoskeletal, cardiovascular, digestive systems). These are available as .mp4 files, so you can download and save the videos, upload them onto your own video streaming platform e.g. YouTube, Vimeo, embed them into your VLE e.g. Moodle, Blackboard or play via an interactive whiteboard/projector.
- Cardiovascular system (file size: 215MB)
- Digestive system (file size: 104MB)
- Musculoskeletal system (file size: 516MB)
The three scripts for the Fly Through Videos are also available as .pdf files:
- Cardiovascular system (file size: 138Kb)
- Digestive system (file size: 168Kb)
- Musculoskeletal system (file size: 136Kb)
Virtual Reality Work Experience (VRWE) videos
There are three virtual reality work experience (VRWE) videos (Broken wrist, Circulatory problem, Healthy eating). These are available as .mp4 files as an alternative to experiencing the VRWEs via a VR headset. You can download and save the videos, upload them onto your own video streaming platform e.g. YouTube, Vimeo, embed them into your VLE e.g. Moodle, Blackboard or play via an interactive whiteboard/projector.
- Scenario 1: Broken wrist (file size: 158MB)
- Scenario 2: Circulatory problem (file size: 157MB)
- Scenario 3: Healthy eating (file size: 68MB)
The three scripts for the VRWEs are also available as .pdf files:
- VRWE Storyboard – Scenario 1: Broken wrist (file size: 161Kb)
- VRWE Storyboard – Scenario 2: Circulatory problem (file size: 179Kb)
- VRWE Storyboard – Scenario 3: Healthy eating (file size: 172Kb)
The Facilitator’s Guide is a .pdf document (file size: 2.76MB). It explains how to access and use the M-Care resources; it also provides sample lesson plans, ideas, suggestions and direction for maximising the effectiveness of the resources.