To coincide with the start of the 2021/22 financial year HEE will began sharing statements that show the financial support it provides for education and training, and the corresponding activity delivered by providers, within each of the 42 ICS/STP geographic footprints.
The aim of this activity is to:
- Increase transparency in educational funding flows; enabling ICS-level strategic discussions on HEE’s investment including its alignment to ICS clinical strategy delivery and long-term service sustainability;
- Inform the development of an Education and Training Plan for each ICS;
- Enable, through the production of an ICS Education and Training Plan, engagement with HEE on the future investment of educational funds to support the right educational capacity and thus prioritise delivery;
- Highlight any inequity of activity which will be underpinned by HEE’s funding strategy and policy, including medical redistribution;
- Alongside the production of HEE’s Annual Funding Guide, standardising and providing clarity of payment rates.
This will become an annual publication process. The statements will initially focus on two funding pots; future workforce and workforce development funding.
Each ICS/STP will receive its own statement. Prototypes of the statement are being shared with ICS/STPs which will be retrospective for funding provided in the 2019/20 financial year, but it is intended to progress to a ‘forward looking’ statement for future years.