To support the delivery of the NHS People Plan, HEE is developing national education funding policy and the accompanying processes to incentivise the required supply of the future workforce.
By providing national leadership and taking effective strategic decisions, HEE is aligning planning, investment, contract management, performance management and reporting - at both national and local level – to support the delivery of quality education and training of the NHS workforce of the future.
We are working with partners to develop consistent, national and universal funding offers, informed by intelligence, that translate to transparent and coherent funding processes. HEE’s approach to funding policy is co-ordinated nationally, implemented locally. By working to improve understanding of education and training investment at place and by profession, HEE is supporting national and local NHS systems to use effectively the education funding it provides, to leverage this funding for greatest impact, and ultimately use this investment to provide a sustainable supply of healthcare professionals for the benefit of patients and patient care.
This activity is driven by the principles of:
- Transparency – ensuring public funding decisions are clear and justifiable, enabling robust accountability, alignment and engagement about use.
- Consistency - standardised implementation of decisions and consistent application of funding policy. Variation by exception and only when justified by intelligence.
- Joint-decision making – national and local partnership in how education funding best flows through systems to add value and support quality training outcomes.
- Value for money – making most effective use of the public funding provided for healthcare education and training.
For information about funding through the COVID-19 response, please visit here.
Key projects related to this work:
- Education Funding Reviews
- HEE National Funding Guidance
- Integrated Care System Education Funding Statements
- DHSC Healthcare Education & Training Tariff
- HEE Financial Updates