Objectives for 2018
We have four equality objectives for 2018.
We plan to:
- Publish a roadmap of the journey we will take to strengthen our commitment to the values of equality, diversity and inclusion
- Publish data that demonstrates our performance against the indicators set out within the NHS Workforce Race Equality Standard (WRES)
- Publish a diversity data dashboard that contains information on the HEE workforce
- Publish completed equality impact assessments, which demonstrate how we are consider the aims of the Public Sector Equality Duty in our work.
Our public duty
The Equality Act 2010 (the Act) ensures individuals have equal treatment in employment and access to private and public sector services regardless of age, gender, race, sexual orientation, faith or belief, disability, pregnancy and maternity, gender reassignment and marriage and civil partnership. These are known as the nine protected characteristic groups.
Section 149 of the Act sets out the Public Sector Equality Duty (PSED), which offers protection in relation to employment, as well as access to goods and services.
As a public sector organisation, HEE has general and specific public sector duties. We must demonstrate we:
- Eliminate unlawful discrimination, harassment and victimisation and other conduct prohibited by The Act
- Advance equality of opportunity between people who share protected characteristics and those who do not
- Foster good relations between people who share protected characteristics and those who do not.
Sometimes referred to as the three aims of the general equality duty, the Act also explains that having due regard advancing equality involves:
- Removing or minimising disadvantage suffered by people due to their protected characteristics.
- Taking steps to meet the needs of people from protected groups where these are different from the needs of other people
- Encouraging people from protected groups to participate in public life or in activities where their participation is disproportionality low.
The purpose of the PSED is to integrate consideration of equality and good relations into the day-to-day business of an organisation.