The investment in primary care set out in the GP Forward View includes funding for post-CCT Fellowships. These are innovative posts available for GPs in their first 5 years after qualification. CCGs, Trusts, Federations and GP Practices can apply for funding for GP roles that come under one of five broad categories of fellowship:
- System leadership – Supporting emerging GP leaders within the local healthcare system
- Health equity – Using the fellowship programme to reduce health inequalities
- Clinical – Helping GPs to develop a clinical special interest e.g. dermatology, frailty, palliative care
- Academic – Supporting early academic careers
- Educational – Stimulating early career GP educators through involvement with undergraduate or postgraduate education
The HEE post-CCT fellowships deliver benefits to the Fellows, patients, local health systems and the wider NHS and support the development of new ways of working.
Please contact your local HEE office and ask for the primary care school team to find out more about post-CCT fellowship opportunities in your area.
NHS England and NHS Improvement also offer a New to Practice Fellowship. The two-year programme of support is available to all newly-qualified GPs working substantively in general practice, with a focus on working within and across a Primary Care Network (PCN).