Work experience opportunities are available within most of the NHS trusts in the north east and information on how to apply and who to contact is outlined for you below:
- North Cumbria Integrated Care NHS Foundation Trust
- Northumbria Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust
- The Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- Gateshead Health NHS Foundation Trust
- South Tyneside and Sunderland NHS Foundation Trust
- County Durham and Darlington NHS Foundation Trust
- North Tees and Hartlepool NHS Foundation Trust
- South Tees Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- Cumbria, Northumberland, Tyne and Wear NHS Foundation Trust
- Tees, Esk and Wear Valleys NHS Foundation Trust
- North East Ambulance Service NHS FT - Please note that the ambulance service does not offer work placements, If you would like information about current vacancies please see NHS Jobs
Work Experience in Primary Care
As well as completing work experience in hospitals, there are hundreds of GP practices across the north east who offer work experience in a primary care setting. This will offer you the opportunity to gain an insight into the role of a GP as well as other staff in the clinic such as nurses or allied health professionals.
You will learn how each GP clinic is run to cater for a variety of patients and illnesses. We have produced some information on finding work experience opportunities in primary care and have also compiled a list of GP practices in the area who will consider taking students.
The Royal College of General Practitioners has created an alternative to work experience for aspiring medical students living in the UK, aged 16 and over. Observe GP is a free, online, interactive video platform providing insights into general practice. The videos include a variety of patients and conditions and allow the viewer to ‘meet’ many of the general practice team including the Practice Manager, Receptionist, GP Trainee, Pharmacist, GPs and Advanced Nurse Practitioner. Themes of the consultation videos include: long-term condition management, self-care and person-centred care. Key terminology also appears on screen to reinforce learning and prompt reflection.