Routes to Specialist Registration
Specialty Training Programme – more information about recruitment to the Training Programme can be found on the Severn Postgraduate Medical Education website.
Portfolio Route to registration – more information can be found on the UK Public Health Register website.
HEE in the South West supports the public health practitioner scheme and practitioner development. The Practitioner scheme is recruited to four times a year. Practitioner applications are invited following the delivery of our quarterly introductory webinars which provide an overview of the scheme and the support available.
- More information can be found on the Practitioner Scheme and Practitioner Development webpage.
- Additional training and development can be accessed via The Practitioner Training Directory.
- The scheme co-ordinate local networks for both practitioner and assessors linked to the South West Practitioner Scheme.
- Anyone wishing to become an Assessor of Verifier for our scheme please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
Events in the South West
The Academy organises various events for colleagues in the South West. There are three main events included in the calendar each year, details of which can be found below:
- South West Public Health Scientific Conference: Held in March of each year, the Scientific Conference offers a unique opportunity to showcase both service and university based public health research and evaluation from across the South West. The programme delivers an exciting mix of plenary presentations, parallel sessions and mini oral presentations/posters.
- South West Public Health Development School: Held in October each year, the South West Public Health Development School provides a unique opportunity for people working in a variety of fields within public health to expand their public health horizons. The Development School is a one-day event boasting a vibrant mix of workshops and learning activities.
- South West Public Health Annual Training Conference: Held in June each year, all Public Health Specialty registrars, specialty tutors, academic, educational and activity supervisors in the South West are invited to this conference. An event to take stock of the past year’s training activities whilst looking forward and planning for next year..
South West Public Health Supervisors
All South West Public health Specialty Registrars currently training have an accredited Educational Supervisor, an Academic Supervisor and will be supported for individual projects by an Activity Supervisor.
For accredited Supervisors in the South West, Health Education England offer a range of CPD opportunities which can be found on the Severn Postgraduate Medical Education events page.
For more information on Supervision or becoming a Supervisor in the South West, please see the dedicated trainer section on the school website.
Additional Training Opportunities in the South West
Health Protection course: In 2021, the Academy procured Health Protection shorts courses being delivered by the University of the West of England and University of Exeter with places available that are fully funded by HEE.
A minimum of two courses will run each year for the next three years, with places allocated to individuals nominated through Directors of Public Health and/or line managers.
- eLearning for Healthcare
- UKHSA e-learning: link coming soon
- Knowledge and intelligence modules: e-learning modules on Population Health Management
Further opportunities are also available on an ad-hoc basis. Please contact email@example.com for more details on any of the training opportunities.