In the NCL footprint North London Partners, a Nurse Director has been in post since December 2016 to drive forward a range of initiatives to embed the pan-London work and also to work alongside the HR leadership to support the delivery of the nursing components of the STP workforce plan. Through this work multiple initiatives have been set up, including work on embedding pan-London CapitalNurse products locally.
The initiatives include:
• Career clinics/ transfer schemes
• Rotational schemes
• Retention of experienced nurses, and the Faculty of Medicine’s guidance on menopause
• Passport into Leadership - a leadership development programme for senior nurses working in the care sector. You can read the evaluation of the second cohort.
• General practice nursing forum
• Overseas nurses
• Health and care role shadowing
• Employment offer for student nurses
• Return to practice
• Preceptorship network
• Flexible working
A senior nurse leader is starting in early 2019 to progress local projects under the CapitalNurse brand in NEL.
Health Education England in NWL has focussed on supporting rotational foundation programmes for nurses which has had a significant impact on achieving collaborative working within and across organisations whilst also shedding more light on why nurses might choose (or not choose) this route to employment and highlighting the cultural change work required to embed this approach to maximise benefits.
In 2019 CapitalNurse plan to appoint a senior nurse leader in NWL who can progress wider CapitalNurse in the STP footprint.
In 2018 scoping work began in SEL for what projects can be carried out under CapitalNurse. Work to deliver this will begin in 2019.
In SWL a senior nurse leader was appointed in January 2018 who will be leading to lead the progression of CapitalNurse in the SWL footprint, both for embedding of the Pan-London initiatives, and developing and testing local initiatives that align with the CapitalNurse vision.
• Care home nursing leadership
• Deputy Director of Nursing network
• Band 5 engagement – St George’s
• Understanding nurses’ reluctance to speak out - CLCH
• Nurses approaching retirement – SWL St George’s
• Expectations of working at Croydon
• Children’s palliative care