Widening participation seeks to address the inequalities which exist in access to the wealth of careers available in the health service. By facilitating awareness of and access to the broad range of clinical and non-clinical career options within the NHS, it aims to create a future workforce representative of the local communities it seeks to serve.
Widening participation: HEE strategic goals
- Improve monitoring and reporting of widening participation activities.
- Enhance further the visibility and targeting of Health Careers information and advice.
- Increase, through research and evaluation, the understanding and evidence of what and what does not work in relation to widening participation developments in healthcare education and workforce development.
- Increase collaborative approaches in supporting widening participation initiatives, including outreach activity.
- Stimulate and increase the capacity of healthcare organisations in being able to expand and support work or work related experience opportunities
- Promote best practice: recognise and celebrate best practice in widening participation to encourage wider adoption.
South London widening participation delivery plan
We have designed a local programme for supporting south London healthcare providers to work in partnership to encourage local people to pursue a career in healthcare.
Aligned to HEE widening participation strategic goals, we are working to spread health careers information, advice and guidance through careers fairs and schools events, to encourage partnership working between HEIs, healthcare providers, local authorities, schools and external charities. In 2015 we enrolled a number of health ambassadors to promote careers in healthcare to young people in local schools.
In addition to this, in 2016/17 our widening participation programme is launching a work experience project aiming to improve access to and provision of healthcare work experience in south London.
Our key areas of focus are:
- Outreach to schools
- Health ambassadors
- Work experience
- Careers information, advice and guidance
- Working in partnership
- Monitoring widening participation
- Sharing widening participation best practice
If you would like any further information on our widening participation activities please contact Alison Dear, Project Manager – Widening Participation.